By: Anders Lund
“It takes only seven seconds for us to judge another person when we first meet them.” – Linda Blair, clinical psychologist
1. Something Nice To Wear – It’s crucial to make a good impression on your first date because that will dictate your chances of getting a second. of course, appearance isn’t everything, however, it is an important determinant of how someone will view you. Your personal brand is the first thing someone notices about you so make sure you portray yourself in a positive light through appropriate grooming, attire, and posture. This will not make you more or less compatible with your date, however, it will send a signal that you value their time by valuing your appearance.
2. Good Breath – Oral hygiene is a necessity in everyday life and for dating, it’s no exception. Take care of your smile so that when the date ends you feel confident in leaning in close for a kiss. Essential Oxygen Organic Brushing Rinse is the perfect wingman. Keep a travel sized 3 oz bottle in your car so that you will always be prepared. The Brushing Rinse will provide a deep clean and leave your mouth feeling fresh so nothing will hinder your smile from flourishing.
3. Creativity – Do something exciting, different, and fun for your first date. This will show your date that you’re truly interested in them and that you’re not just some stick in the mud. Pardon my exaggeration, but everyone and their mothers have been on a “dinner and movie” date. It’s played out and unoriginal. This doesn’t mean you have to go sky diving or deep sea fishing, but try and be a little creative. Do something that shows your date that this was pre-meditated; but make sure to keep it true to yourself.
4. Variety of Conversation – A first date is no place for a singular conversation. In fact, for the date to be successful, it’s important to touch on a variety of different subjects. You want to show your date that you are intellectual, passionate, and emotionally intelligent among other personality characteristics. The only way this can be achieved is with a variety of conversational topics. Awkward silence is absolutely OK, in fact it’s normal. You can’t expect the two of you to talk the whole time you’re together, however – don’t flirt on the edge of uncomfortable awkward silence.
5. Etiquette – Mind your P’s and Q’s! Etiquette doesn’t mean scramble awkwardly so that you can open every door in the path of your date. Etiquette, in this instance means to be polite. Be appreciative of the effort your date made, say thank you if your date paid for something or drove you somewhere. Show them that you value what they’re doing for you because a little etiquette goes a long way.