By: Emmi Buck
We don’t need to tell you that candy (especially a LOT of candy, like on Halloween) can be bad news for your oral health. Trick-or-treat doesn’t need to mean a sweet, cavity-causing treat; you can give out other kinds of treats, or even tricks!
Don’t forget the first option in trick-or-treat 😉 … after all, it is a night for mischief and fun, right?!
Another bonus of avoiding chocolate candy is that many kids have allergies and dietary restrictions that make Halloween a bummer for them since most houses give out low-quality, GMO-sugar chocolate treats. The below options are far more suitable, sustainable, and healthy for all trick-or-treaters!
- Fruit Snacks / Fruit Leather – As sweet as candy, but much healthier and in fun shapes. Top picks are Annie’s Organic Bunny Fruit Snacks, YumEarth Organic Gummy Bears, and Stretch Island All-Natural Fruit Strips.
- Mini Trail Mix Packs – Most kids don’t see trail mix as ‘healthy’, but rather a fun treat with lots of choices! Trader Joe’s has good options, and so does Trophy Farm’s All Natural Snack Mixes.
- Spooky School Supplies – A ghost eraser or vampire pencil would make any kid excited for class after Halloween!
- Glow Sticks – Not only will trick-or-treaters light up with excitement, giving out glow sticks will literally light them up, and help them to be easily seen by cars while walking around the neighborhood.
- Magic Tricks – The first part of trick-or-treat is tricks, and kids LOVE magic tricks. Look some up online to learn or buy. If you don’t want to leave kids empty handed, do a trick that involves a gift too, like finding a nickel or yo-yo in their witches’ hat.
- Essential Oxygen Organic Brushing Rinse – Growing up, I lived on a street with 2 dentists. On Halloween, one gave out toothbrushes and the other gifted mini toothpastes, and to be honest… even as a kid I thought it was cool! Be the yin to Halloween candy yang, and give out our 3 ounce travel sized BRs to help combat cavities the coolest, foamiest, whole-mouth-healthiest way possible!
- Non-Toxic Crafts – Steer clear of paints and play dough’s with ingredients you can’t pronounce, but check out Eco-Kids Eco-Dough and Natural Earth Natural Face Paint.
- Bubbles!!! – What kid (or adult) doesn’t love bubbles? Some eco-friendly options include Fubbles Bubbles and Pustefix Bubbles, or easily make your own with 2 cups of warm water, 3 Tablespoons of Honest Co. Dish Soap, and 1 teaspoon of sugar.
- Temporary Tattoos – Many brands make Halloween themed tats, but really any temporary tattoo will do! We found some cool non-toxic options including biNK’ed vegetable based tattoo sheets and Spestyle nontoxic temporary tattoos.
- Apple Cider Single Serve Packs – Like fruit snacks, this is another sweet treat option that doesn’t pack quite the cavity-causing punch! You can even find sugar free options nowadays.
- Popcorn – While making your own is the healthiest option, many parents won’t allow their kids to eat home-made treats. Try pre-popped and packaged options like non-GMO BoomChickaPop or popcorn look-alike Pirate’s Booty.
- Bouncy Balls – Toys are great non-candy treats, and bouncy balls are always favorite toy. Look for bouncy balls that use natural plastic.
- Granola / Snack Bars – There are SO many healthy options these days and even Halloween ones! Get Clif Kid Organic Z-Bars in Full Moon Brownie flavor or Nature’s Path Bars in Chococonut or Pumpkin-N-Spice.