One of the last things you want in your mouth are toxins. Especially in a product that is meant to cleanse and fortify your teeth and gums like toothpaste and mouthwash. Unfortunately, most of the products on the market today host a plethora of different toxins and disguise them under scary names.
Here is a little toxin cheat sheet so that you know what to avoid when looking for products:
Bleach contains chlorine. It is a highly reactive substance, meaning that it readily combines with other elements. When it is isolated and freed from its chemical bonds, it becomes a toxic gas.
Many products that you may not expect do contain bleach and, therefore, chlorine. We all know that chlorine is commonly used to disinfect pool water and neutralize bacteria and germs. We certainly don’t want that anywhere near our bodies!
According to Gerard F. Judd, PH.D, Researcher and Professor Emeritus of Chemistry, teeth are able to re-enamel themselves by drawing minerals from food.
This process is hindered when glycerin is used in oral products. Glycerin creates a barrier on the tooth and keeps it from rejuvenating its enamel. Almost all the ‘healthy’ toothpastes contain Glycerin as a primary ingredient.
The difference between food grade hydrogen peroxide and cosmetic or industrial grade that is found in brown bottles at grocery and drug stores, is that the food grade doesn’t have the harmful stabilizers found in the brown bottle varieties.
The stabilizers made of chemicals like tetra sodium phosphate, sodium stagnate, acetanilide and phenol contain significant quantities of toxic heavy metals. Most toothpastes and mouthwashes use the non-food grade variety of peroxide.
Alcohol is used to cleanse wounds and disinfect surfaces. It is also responsible for drying out your mouth and making it difficult for your saliva glands to wash away bacteria.
This can lead to bad breath and buildup. It’s ok to have a glass of wine, but keep alcohol away from your oral care products!